ONE CLASS IS FILLED: How to Look at & Understand Great Art. It was capped at 35 and those who request the course after that point will be placed on a waiting list.
Practicing Basic Spanish Conversation still has 2 spots left, but only 2!
HERE IS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR SOME COURSES:
The Controversies course has chosen its book for the coming term. It is “The Meritocracy Trap: How America’s Foundational Myth Feeds Inequality, Dismantles the Middle Class, and Devours the Elite.” See the course description for a description of how this course operates.
For those considering the Science Cafe course, here are some of the topics covered during the previous term:
- How can it be that your genes are a predictor of your political choices?
- What would be the social or cultural effect of the announcement of the finding of indications of extraterrestrial life? What if they are of intelligent alien life?
- Is it realistic for society to rapidly replace fossil fuels with so-called green energy so as to significantly slow down global warming and ensuing climate change and what are the alternatives?
- What areas of life will be affected by the development of quantum computers?
- What areas of work are feeling the effect of advances of artificial intelligence and robiticsis being affected and how soon will this become almost all pervasive?
- Where are we in the “war” against cancer and antibiotic resistant bacteria?
- Has the new CRISPR gene editing tools made genetic engineering of humans not only feasible but more acceptable?
The Romantic Period: the Schumanns & Brahms: Though this course will focus on the music of the Romantic Era, we will also explore what is happening in literature and art as well as the political climate of the early 19th century. Music in any era is almost always connected to the “climate” of the times. Schumann was very much a product of his environment as were most of the composers of the 19th century. We will also explore music of his contemporaries and there will be suggestions for outside listening that will enhance your learning experience.